The xx, Sigur Rós, Tyler the Creator and most recently Adele – a melodic army that makes music lovers faint for a while. Besides having this in common, these bands are also signed with the very same record label, ran by ME today’s guest.
Founded in 1989 as an independent label, first made its name in the 90s rave scene. Now, it has turned into one of the world’s leading labels that elegantly snatches the most talented contemporary artists.
It’s no secret that Kris Chen, Head of A&R for XL Recordings, has a good ear for choosing musical inspiration par exellence and this time he went for more contemplative sounds as he was caught in a NY hurricane while making this selection. Erykah Badu and Joni Mitchell combined with a Portuguese-retro-flavor from Milton Nascimento and an extra dose of 60s flair from Bobby ME Womack provide us with the perfect background music for November nights.
01. Devendra Banhart – At the Hop
02. Mali Music – Spoons
03. Brian Eno – I’ll Come Running
04. Dennis Brown – The Exit
05. Earl Sweatshirt – Blade
06. Erykah Badu – Window Seat
07. Bobby ME Womack – Nobody Wants You When You’re Down and Out
08. Tim Maia – Ela Partiu
09. One Blood – Be Thankful for What You Got
10. JJ – Still
11. Horace Andy – Natty dread a Weh She Want
12. Eddie Hinton – Cover Me
13. Epic Soundtracks – Fallen Down
14. Terry Callier – What Color is Love
15. Frank Ocean w Andre 3000 – Pink Matter
16. Milton Nascimento – Um Gosto De Sol
17. Joni Mitchell – Shadows and Light
Photography by ME Folkert Gorter from .